a blog about projects

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Teaching Day 5

2 words...
Rough Day
There are lots of reasons why you may not want to teach. And there are lots of reasons why you would want to teach. You can have the best intentions and most optimistic mind going into this field and all it really takes is one kid. One kid that'll make you want to stop and question if you should be doing what you are doing. 
a picture of my friend ian :) who isn't really a kid kid...
but it was a good picture for this post :)
So you sit... and wonder. why why why why.
You get frustrated and question. 

But then you realize. That this student is one of the reasons for being a teacher. 
They are the challenge and they are the ones that need guidance the most. So what to do?

Consider the outside influences.
Consider the people around them. 
Consider EVERYTHING. 
and set that kid up to succeed.

I don't mean just give them the grades. I mean curbing their behaviors so they can succeed. They need to work harder which may mean you need to work harder too! But never give up on them, because sometimes you're the only one that believes. 

1 comment:

  1. very nicely written Christine. I've had students who said a few words that demolished my enthusiasm, and I've also had students who said a few words that touched my heart. Learning about their backgrounds has also been an eye opener to me. Some of them are more worried about where their dinner is going to come from, instead of doing homework, and it really puts a perspective on things...

    ReplyDelete